Thursday, February 17, 2011







Okay, we left Death Valley today,  So I am sharing some pictures of the rocks there.  The last picture is a little blurry, but it shows the sand dunes which the winds keep adding to, it is about 50' high. Pictures 3 and 5 are the same, but that is called the 20 mule team valley, that should stir up some of our memories.  Did you know that Death Valley was not a national Park until President Clinton made it a park.  Some land here is still owned by the borax corporation, including the furnace Creek inn.  Those rooms are $330. per night.  The winds were gone this morning which is normal, they will increase every afternoon.  The birds which I feed, because I felt sorry for them, made a sound like a raspy gurgle.  I gave them some cookies and there was finally a flock of about 30 which came very close, about a foot away when I was feeding them.  When I stopped feeding them, I walked back toward the room and they followed me.  I went in and 20 minutes later, when we came out, they were waiting at the door.  It was like the movie "The Birds", and they looked like those birds too.  Crows, I believe.
We needed fuel and went to the only station in Death Valley, Al was perturbed when he had to pay $5.09.9 for fuel.  Notice the phone booths, there is no cell phone service here either.
The kicker was when the waiter at breakfast told us that, many times, they have found rattlers in the building, especially the mojave rattler which is deadlier than the diamondback, you need to get help with in 40 minutes or you are toast.  Also they have a lot of scorpions, but they, most of the time only give you a bad sting.  There is a vinegar spider which doesn't kill you, but leaves you with a vinegar taste in your mouth for weeks.
We made over the mountains and out of death valley and the brakes worked, thank goodness.  We are now in Vegas, and will leave for tucson tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I stopped at that same gas station in Death Valley on my trip to Seattle in 2001. Back then I was blown away when gas here was $3.00 a gallon

    ReplyDelete